Saturday 22 May 2010

One Review, An Explanation and A Schedule

Right, now, as everyone who follows me at all might know that I've been VERY bad at getting back to people, letting conversations slide and all that. Well, the reason for that is very simple. I've been very knackered, and jus haven't got round to replying >.< I have about 30 posts to comment on, all in their own window, so I will get round to it, at some point. And yes, I know it is a slappable offence.

Anywho, I will be better at replying from next week - I finish work at the end of next week, and so from Sunday I will be free to do whatever I please. Which means lots of booze, gambling and hookers. *Beat* No wait, it'll be clothes designs, comic writing and maybe taking a holiday to the States. I haven't decided yet where or when, but if anyone has ideas or wants to meet up, let me know and we can see what we can arrange. Jus look out for the guy with long red hair and a fedora.

And now, finally, onto the review, and it will only be one, because the entire week disapointed me so much (Brightest Day was lame, with what, not even a page of Aquaman, some really confusing ass Martian Manhunter stuff, etc etc. Urge), Atlas (erm, so who the hell is this 3D-Man and why should I care? I wanted to read about the Agents of Atlas dammit) and my actual review. The good though were The Spirit (mediocore really, but enjoyable enough), DCU Legacies (enjoyed the stories on this, people living in a superhero world, good premise and all), Legion of Super-Heroes (passable, though when did Saturn-Woman have kids [though not any more, haha. It's like a dead baby joke...] and there were a few confusing moments, but it was alright) and Zatanna (tad disappointed, could've been so much more). But now, without further ado, it's on to the actual review, and if you read my blog at any point, you know what's coming. It's X-Men Pixie Strikes Back by Kathryn Immonen and Sara Pichelli. Fun times all round.

OK, now, this comic was just painful to read. Really, physically painful. I think I've got a brain injury from reading it. The plot makes sense, in a consistent sense anyway. But the way it's structured, the way the characters act, they way they talk is all wrong. And it's not just this series - Kathryn should not be writing comics in my opinion. Both Runaways and this have been utter disasters when she's been writing, hampered by her complete and utter inability to write something of any sense. The plot is just stupid, the writing is bad, characters don't act as they should do, scenes and segways are bad, everybody talks in the same disjointed style that Felicia Henderson of Teen Titans uses, I think they went to the same school of BAD WRITERS. URGH

And finally, on a final note on the writing on the final bit of the issue - so Pixie thought she was going home with her mom, but her mom things being with the X-Men is her home. OK, fair enough. But it's badly written and took me three attempts before I realised this. Before I just thought it was sounding stupid writing. Maybe it's my annoyance at Kathryn, I don't know, as I generally get this stuff straight away. It's just all horrible.

And now, on to the artwork. I suppose it's passable in a way, but I think that's more due to the colouring than anything else. I'll give credit where credits due, and the colouring is done in an offbeat, non usual comic standard, and I really think it works. Good work Christina Strain. But now, on to the bad, and first things first: where the hell have Pixie's wings gone? Erm, HELLO? WINGS people, WINGS!
And you know what else? It's comical the size of the breasts on the women in this series. Emma, both Masterminds and Psylocke. Just, wow. So much silicon and plastic in those things eh?

And now, before I pop multiple blood vessels, I'm gonna to stop right here and not review it any more. So, now that that mini-series is over and done with, maybe we can have some competent writers writing Pixie (and the X-Men I suppose). I do have to say with Kathryn writing both the on hiatus Runaways and this series, I did think that with the revelation of Jason being Pixie's dad, I thought she might run away from the X-Men and become a Runaway. But apparently not. I suppose it does save me from watching as Kathryn butchers Pixie some more.

So, and this is the final note, my ending statement, WHERE WERE PIXIE'S WINGS?!? ARGH!

5 comments:

  1. Glad you're back, and sounds like a hell of a break for ya coming up so that's cool. I agree with you on Brightest Day too, that was just stupid and Aquaman is on the cover but only has one page and no dialogue?! WTF?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it will be a very long and much deserved break. I'm probably gonna be quite bored for a bit of it really.
    Yeah, it just bugs me when comics do that. Featured on the cover, not in it at all. It's like Wolverine all over again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well good to hear you have some down time coming Nagash. Here's hoping you enjoy it... Unlike that Pixie mini... Ugh! I know better then most how painful it can be when the wrong writer gets a hold of one of your favorite characters and just brutalizes them... I dealt with that from X-Man #20-#62!!! It's safe to say that I won't be looking for that mini when the trade comes out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wondering where you been sir, but I know like anyone, you can get a bit busy at times. Hope you enjoy the vaca you have coming up soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And now I'm back. Unfortunately it's quite late in the day, so I can't reply to the 30 odd tabs yet, especially because I haven't done the comic for today yet >.<

    Wow X! Was that just one writer on X-Man for those, or many? Sounds nasty. Don't know you managed to keep buying em. I would've given up on them after four or five...

    ReplyDelete