Sunday 17 January 2010

Who I Am, What I Review, etc

Righteo, this is just (hopefully) a short post to say what kindof of thing's you'll expect to read about about on this blog. I'm much more of a DC reader than a Marvel. Most Marvel stuff I wouldn't bother even picking up, like Spider-Man, anything about Wolverine, the Fantastic Four (who I loathe)... But things I have liked about them include the crossovers Civil War and I am liking what I've read of Dark Reign. I intend to get all the Ultimate X-Men books, and want to start reading any comic with Pixie in it. You know who I mean ;)

The one with pixie wings of course! So if anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be great.

I've read almost all of Age of Apocalypse (got the four big collected editions, and Exiles: AoA), enjoyed some of it, though the artwork was a bit lacking. And the story was quite disjointed...

Otherwise, I am definitly a DC guy - I don't buy Marvel singles, only collected editions. And with DC I buy some singles, but not a huuuuge amount. Where it not for Blackest Night, my comic buying would go down quite a bit (probably). I save things like JLA and JSA for collected editions, and buy things like Batgirl, GA/BC, Detective Comics with Batwoman, limited series like Superman: Secret Origins, Cry For Justice, Great Ten and Ink (which sadly finished :( I really enjoyed that, the artwork was good, though sometimes hard to tell who was who...). I'm quite likely to give up on the actual Batman books come next issue unles they get really good, as I haven't been particularly enjoying them, and I'm just sticking with GA/BC as GA's my fave character.

Lastly, but not leastly:
Bring. Back. Aquaman. Not the silly new one, no. The original, the best. With whatever; harpoon, waterhand, sentient Black Lantern zombie. I don't care. Just bring him damn well back :D


6 comments:

  1. I'm also a big fan of DC more than Marvel and I read alot of the books you listed. Maybe we should start a "Bring back Arthur Curry/Give Jason Todd a good storyline" petition. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop screwing our characters?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you're a Pixie fan? Do I dare ask why?:-)
    Anyway, I'll see what I can dig up for ya.

    The AOA was a bit disjointed? Wooo boy, I've GOT to disagree with you there! As far as I'm concerned, the AOA is THE best crossover EVER! Sure, some of the books(like the Gen X and Excalibur stuff)probably could have been taken out, but I always admired the way most of the major storylines managed to converge and wrap-up at the end. I'll always respect the fact that Marvel pretty much "cancelled" some of their best selling books and rebooted everything for a full 4 months.

    As for Aquaman, I completely agree(although I did kind of like the younger Aquaman...). He's one of DC's more iconic heroes, I'm actually kind of surprised that he's been dead for so long... Then again, I've always liked Atlantians. Be it Namor from Marvel, or Aquaman and Tempest from DC, and BTW, I was pretty bummed when Tempest brought it in Blackest Night! He was a real underutilized character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This image pretty much sums it up nicely actually:
    http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/5392/193098-119032-pixie_super.jpg
    Shall we just leave it at that? :D I prefer her in that appearence to her newer divided soul form. Any comics with her like that would be cool. Thanks.

    It's a problem with alot of crossovers, and maybe it was the collected editions, they just went all over the place as it were....
    It was good, just not as good as I thought it was gonna be. And the artwork was not the best at all...

    I haven't read any of the new Aquaman. I refuse to :D
    I don't like Namor. He just is an arse who just looks stupid without a shirt. At least Aquaman looks badass without a shirt

    ReplyDelete
  5. So basically you're looking for any pre-Yost Pixie appearances, since I think she got the Soulsword/new look right around the beginning of his New-X run, right? If so, I'll get back to you sometime this week.

    It could have been the collected editions, I'm totally unfamiliar with them. I've got all of the singles and I usually read the whole arc in chronological order, from the early days(X-Men Chronicles #1)straight through to the end. As for the art, I can't say it really bothered me. But then again, I usually only notice the artwork if it's really, really good, or really, really bad!

    I actually read the first storyarc with the new Aquaman like a week ago(I found the trade cheap and figured what the hell?)and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I wouldn't go out of my way to find the next few issues, but if I could find 'em cheap, I'd definitely give 'em a read.

    That's exactly what I like about Namor, the fact that he is an ass! I've got to agree with the outfit though, a speedo is NOT a super-hero outfit... I prefer Namor in his other outfit more anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Er, yeah, I believe so...
    Or anything by this artist, as it's damn good art :D
    http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/3/33/Dark_pixie.JPG
    Cheers :)

    Possibly. It's how I got em, so it's the only stuff of AoA I know... Yeah, I found it quite alright artwork. Nothing special...

    I just wouldn't be able to read it. Just can't. It's the principle of it ;)

    Well, I wouldn't mind, but put a damn shirt on...

    ReplyDelete