Friday 16 April 2010

This weeks comics in a review?!?!?

Me? Doing some reviews? Say whaaaa? Yes, I know! Well, it's because I got my new laptop last week, and I was setting it up then. Nowadays I can actually use my preferred method of this (which is actually just TextEdit - a nice text editor with a spell checker ;)), which is always good :)

Batman 698
Tony Daniel sure loves his mystery men villains. Now, is it just me or is he also making the villain seem to actually be Riddler? I'm surprised that Tony has stopped drawing these issues, maybe he was too rushed doing both on his last run which caused the quality to slip? Here's hoping so. But I do like Guillem March's art - liked it in Sirens and I like it here. And why does everyone atm insist on Gordon calling Batman - can't he do anything nowadays?
The plots pretty mundane really, another case of showing that Dick is not Bruce, even though last issue it showed he was truly ready to be Batman (finally). At least B&R didn't have much of that, even if it did inflict Damian even more upon us… If you're wondering what I'm talking about, see the subtext - Dick needs Riddler to work everything out, that odd dream sequence and more.
I'm pretty indifferent to this really, and I don't like where DC are taking Riddler either. This arc will probably be done just in time for Bruce to retake the mantle. Urgh, another thing that wasn't needed. If I'd killed a character, I'd make sure they were dead, unless they truly was a story to tell (of course, there are a couple) and the reasoning on their return has to make sense - Bruce's doesn't, and it's happening so soon after he 'died'. But of course Bruce HAS to be Batman, otherwise the casual fans won't understand what's going on, we can't have him 'Dating Catwoman', which means no T&A shots of Selina etc etc.
And now I've deviated from a comic review into a rant against the current state of Batman comics. Whoops. Wasn't hard though, which is a tad disturbing. Mind you, it's easy to set me off on comic book rants - key topics include stupid storylines, using female characters to sell comics to idiotic horny buggers (I will probably do a proper post on this at some point, it's a key topic I feel quite strongly about - something I will never subscribe to because I just don't understand WHY it appears to be necessary nowadays), writers ruining characters (Immonen!!!) and people with the inability to draw (Federico Dallocchio.)

Green Arrow 32
Speaking of which, I'd much rather have Athena turn me into a spider or a Gorgon cause she's crazy than have to look at this guys art. Extreme? Yes. Painful to look at? Yes. Then it's acceptable *nods*
This story was stupid, but at least it didn't have Roy and Ollie fighting. But I'm sure that's gonna happen at some point. J.T. Krull seems to be a good writer, but quite likely hamstrung by the editors. But some of the things are just stupid. You'll know what I mean when you read it.
GAH

Human Target 3
Well, as per the last 2 issues, I liked this un. Nice art, good silly cheesy action movie like story, yet the main character is pretty genre savvy ;) was slightly disappointed with the shorter than usual Scars story, but hey, that's the 'backup' feature, as it were...

Brightest Day 0
OK, so yeah, I liked this, it shows the vague beginnings of the plan for Brightest Day. Just a few things though:
* They'd better not be making Aquaman emo. ARGH
* How'd they capture Thawne? I don't remember that happening in Blackest Night…
* What IS Maxwell Lord up to?
* I'm glad they're keeping J'onn pretty much the same, with a tinge of hope. It's nice
* How old is Hawk? History finals? O_o and Dove seems like she can fly?
* Is that Kyle's ring of Jade? What's that thing in the top left corner of the same page?
And it seems as if Sinestro is going to be doing the all powerful White Light route again. Fair enough, I suppose

And on the other series covers:
* Brightest Day itself - it's nice Mera is appearing more, but posed like that? Granah
* Green Lantern/GLC - surprise surprise on that plot - but the Indigo's don't appear to be out of the picture yet
* Green Arrow - well, since the ending of Green Arrow, perhaps it'll be Ollie travelling the world, ala a sortof Hard Travelling Heroes thing, perhaps with Speedy tagging along? Nice cover too
* The Flash - yawn. Move along
* JL: Generation Lost - cool, but why are they the only people who remember Max Lord? And isn't Captain Atom dead?
* Birds of Prey - so it's a real Bird themed group this time, with Huntress being the odd one out. Now, I never read the old Birds, so what exactly did Lady Blackhawk provide the group with? And put some proper clothes on Huntress. Grumble…
* Titans: Villains For Hire - I've already talked about this one elsewhere, but it looks interesting and it's written and drawn by the same guys who did Ink, which I liked

Batgirl 9
For the finale there's not much of a review, cause it's Batgirl. It's funny, story is good, and even though I never read Oracle: The Cure (which I heard was terrible), it made sense. Good as always, and am glad Lee's back on art - it seems slightly different to normal, but hey, it's still good. No real complaints here, and no Chris Yost in sight! ;)

29 comments:

  1. They caught Thawne in Flash Rebirth dude, which apparently took place...um..after Blackest Night? I don't know how since Flash was already back but they did catch him in that even though it makes no sense. Nice reviews though, I agreed with literally everything you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So why was it written before Blackest Night? And why was JL released before Cry was finished? It just seems, well, stupid. Wasn't interested in Flash Rebirth anyway, so I suppose that explains something, but that is the only one that's continued out of Blackest Night/Brightest Day, so it's fair it confused me. And Rebirth sounds like a mess from what you say...

    ReplyDelete
  3. No idea, everything they did just confuses me, it's like no one knows what anyone else is doing over in DC sometimes.

    Yeah, I mean maybe X could explain it better since I didn't read the whole mini but I mean...it just confuses me, I try not to make sense of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Dartboard of Death and Plot Roulette rules are in effect then ;)

    It didn't seem that interesting, so, I dunno, jus didn't read it in the end. Never been a huge Flash fan - best one was from the DCAU JL stuff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol that's definitely my favorite answer now when asked how DC comes up with that stuff.

    Oh man I LOVED that Flash, with Michael Rosenbaum because he was a big jokester but still was taken seriously, especially in that fight with Brainiac/Lex, that was amazingly cool. I loved that cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And don't forget the dizzying spin before they do anything to make sure it's completely random ;)

    Exactly - was damn good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol the dizzying spin, man DC is so innovative, the way they come up with stuff that kids do to make a pick.

    Damn right, I'm hoping Rosenbaum plays Kid Flash again in the new Young Justice series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's like fashion and it's Wheel of Fortune...

    Here's hoping. Mind you, who else would they use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wheeeel Of Fortuuuune! I'd like to solve. The puzzle is "Ruin Ollie and take Roy's arm!" Yay I win! Lol

    Someone stupid because people love to disappoint us. It BETTER be Rosenbaum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You forgot about killing Lian :(

    DC are doing that a bit with alot of characters atm, eh? Grumble grumble

    ReplyDelete
  11. I try to forget about that actually.. :(

    Exactamundo. I wish I knew who the voice cast for that show was, mainly who's voicing Superboy, Kid Flash, and Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, it does tend to inspire rage. Now why didn't the Red Rings of Rage descend upon the Arrowclan?

    Well, I want to know whose voicing the other three :P And I really hope they don't make Aqualad a stereotype. I mean, even nowadays you still get it, especially in animated stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hm.. good point. Hell I could definitely have seen Roy wearing that red ring.

    I believe Phil Lamarr is voicing him. He's good as you'll remember him voicing Static Shock and John Stewart on JLA/JLU. Don't quote me on that but he did say he's glad he can finally like Young Justice so I'd assume he's the black guy lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Exactly - I swear sometimes these things aren't thought of at all. Huge amounts of missed opportunities. Another major problem with crossovers, and why I won't ever really do proper ones. Every story I would tell affects some, if not all, characters, and it's always permanent. But the major companies can't do this it seems...

    Oh, if it's him voicing, that's good. Now to hope that they can write him well. A good voice actor can still have the character destroyed if the writing is piss poor...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think they have so many different people working on stuff no one has time to talk with everyone else. Or something of that nature.

    Yeah, I'm hoping this is good. Teen Titans had good writing near the end and JLA is always good so if it's half as good as those I'll be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's what I thought editors did. Checked that stories made sense with each others, let the directors of the universe know what's happening so stories can be planned etc...
    At least, that's how I woulda done it...

    Yeah, but I haven't seen anything from beyond there as a TV series, so who knows whether it'll be the same quality or not...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Agreed, looks like someone isn't on their job then...

    It better be, I trust them to deliver on the show, if not, ah, I don't HAVE to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. No, it really doesn't, does it?

    Nah, if a show is terrible, I just don't watch. Simples

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nah, we should go to a corporate takeover.

    Oh if a show is great and you just don't realize it, like King of The Hill :P

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmmm, of both major comic companies?

    A comedy can't be great for me if it doesn't make laugh, so it was shit :P

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm fine with that, I want DC, you can have Marvel.

    Then what comedies do you love sir?

    ReplyDelete
  22. OK, but I get veto power over Aquaman, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter and Miss Martian - understood? ;)

    Decent ones. Obviously.
    I dunno really, save decent ones :P

    ReplyDelete
  23. Only if you give me Veto power over Spidey, Venom, Deadpool and Gambit.

    Hm... I need names sir, names.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sure, cause I don't care about em :P

    Scrubs (pre season 6/7 I think), My Name Is Earl, South Park, Simpsons (pre seasons 13ish), Family Guy, American Dad (post season 1 mostly).
    There, there's some American ones, not even mentioning the British ones :P

    ReplyDelete
  25. :O How DARE you, you jive sucks.

    I got scrubs seasons 1-6, I liked everything else although I despise Family Guy now but I freaking LOVE American dad.

    ReplyDelete
  26. There's more than one of me? And why does it matter? I'm not a fan, oh noooooe :P

    I can't remember exactly where Scrubs got bad, but it did in the last two definitely... Save for the proper ending, the film projector telling a possible future one. That was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yup, you're jives sucks :P

    Agreed, it got bad around season seven, but I still want all the seasons for my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bad English there dude :P

    No, don't go for the latest one. That one is horrible horrible...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nah, it's been Americanized/made better.

    I've watched all the seasons, I liked them. The last two aren't good as the others but whatever.

    ReplyDelete