Thursday 29 April 2010

Two Weeks of Reviews

OK, so after curb-stomping the volcano (no picture for it :P), I've got myself two weeks worth of comics. Now, I know, it's a lot, so I'll just review em by week, in alphabetical order. So, without further ado, because these have been delayed for enough as it is, let's get on with the reviews.

- Last Weeks -

Blackest Night: Directors Cut
So, unlike what JT said, I bought this. And it was OK. But then I'm a sucker for anything involving sketchbooks and the like. Though the sketchbook was disappointed when compared to Final Crisis' sketchbook, which had a lot more of the design process and all that. Plus, there was no Jean Loring, Ralph and Sue Dibney or ones like Air Wave and the like. Which was odd. And only two, maybe three at the most, unused characters. Shame really, cause I really like that kindof thing. But that's me, the designer ;) The rest of the stuff was pretty useless really, save the two unused scenes, which I can see why they weren't used, though the Rainbow Raiders one was pretty damn funny.

Green Lantern #53
OK, so, like my GLC review down below, which I wrote before this because it was more fresh in my mind, and because I had it in front of me while this one is at home, I felt this one was just a set-up issue. I mean, sure, it was fine for what it was, setting up the Lantern plot points for the next few issues and all that, but the artwork was eh, not a lot really happened and Indigo-1 didn't appear at all. Oh, and Saint Walker (with SAINT BARRY, shamelessly stealing from X here) in all of 2 pages I think. But Larfleeze with his Guardian, now that, well, slightly creepy there, you know? Though a tad odd. Gives Luthor up, then comes back right away and sees him again. Erm, did I miss something here?

Kato: Origins #1
OK, so this was a nice little tale that's going to be happening for a while - part mystery, part origin, all period. It's nice, gives some background on Kato, who, being part of the whole Green Hornet stuff, I know nothing about, so it's all good to me. I do wonder how much this actually is accurate to the original stories - does anyone know?

The Spirit #1
I thought I would give this one a go, having never read any of stuff on the Spirit before, not seeing the movie (which I'm told was beyond pondscum on stuff you don't want near your eyes). It was alright as a beginning tale, but nothing brilliant. It did leave me wondering why the crooks couldn't catch the Spirit when he was having a meal with the commissioner in broad day light… And the Second Feature was just, er, odd. Not a fan of the art style, and I just couldn't really tell what was happening.

X-Men: Pixie Strikes Back #3
Now, this is the big un of last weeks stuff - the series where they're butchering one of my favourite characters. But, and it seems odd saying this, it wasn't too bad. The story makes more sense, there seems to be an actual tale involved in making her father a villain and her mum a weird ass fairy chick woman. I mean, I could actually tell what was happening for the most part, though whether it was just me or not but the artwork seemed a tad different, not as good as the last two instalments. The X-Men were still written strangely, and Rockslide just looked off in this one, especially on the final page. Oh, and X-23 just annoys me SO very much. You don't get to say that, you don't get to act like she's a horrible person and you're just an annoying character who either just insults others or smashes things because she's emo. That's the only two things I've ever seen her doing, and she just annoys me.

- This Weeks -

Detective Comics #864
OK, now this one I was pleasantly surprised with this one. I was disappointed to learn that Batwoman would not be in Detective Comics anymore, and yet forced to continue reading the Question even as Renee was destroyed as a character in the Second Feature story. But, the main feature was actually quite good - some good moments with Arkham threatening people, although still no explanation for his wacky ol' Black Mask antics. Or how Dick figured it out using the bullets (I still don't get that you know). The Second Feature did just annoy me, I'm not liking where they're going with these characters, but at least it was better than before, and they don't just reveal their identities to every single damn smuck, villain and hired hit-man that comes their way. And I suppose it's always nice to have Vandal Savage, as he hasn't appeared in that much (from my knowledge) - Final Crisis: Revelations (was that the name? I never read it myself), Outsiders: The Deep and now this. Not a truly unique character, but an immortal who isn't emo - now that's unique ;)

Gotham City Sirens #11
Ok, so I called the bit with the Hyenas, Ivy was acting even more of a bitch than normal (surprise surprise there), and this was the normal strong, enjoyable Sirens story with the usual art. If you've been following anyone who read this blogs blog, you'll know this is a good and consistent series which you're already reading.
Does seem a bit odd that this one has been going on for almost a year, but it deserves it - it's a good series, and totally deserves it's own spin-off TV show ;)

Green Hornet #3
OK, part 3 of Kevin Smith's tale of Green Hornet, that was gonna be a movie at some point. Well, I liked this story, though it was a tad predictable after the main even happened. Seems a bit of a shame, but it had some good moments, although it did use the standard old man kicks ass trope. But it did it well, so I suppose that's alright then. The artwork seemed a bit off on a couple of panels, like someone else had done it. But apparently not, so, hmm, just a bit odd.

Green Lantern Corps #47
This was a pretty good setup/ending series, concluding the Blackest Night stuff and beginning the Brightest Day story. And anyway, it was worth the price of admission for seeing Arrisa and the Guardians. Not as good as Red Robin curb-stomping Damian, but it was a good scene.

Husk
Now, this was an impulse buy that I saw on the stands, had a flick through and it looked interesting. It's a French made comic translated into English, and I gotta say, either something was lost in translation, or someone was taking advice on how to write a story by Grant Morrisson and Felicia Henderson. I mean, sure, the story was good, just confusing, and it was all self contained in it's 48 page goodness. Artwork was passable, nothing truly special.

Teen Titans #82
OK, still no impressed with this series. And it seems as if the writer doesn't actually like Aquagirl - she lists Wonder Girl, Raven, Bombshell, Blue Beetle, Beast Boy, Miss Martian, but not Aquagirl or Static. Er, what? And that's on the second page. Plus she wasn't on the cover, yet Static was. Though Cyborg wasn't. And it just gets worse from here. Usual stilted and bad dialogue, unexplained and confusing panel changes. What did Beast Boy turn into to save the Titans - the Phoenix Force? And a Dragon later on? Since when could Gar do mythical animals? And all of them and they couldn't stop fat Superman T-shirt wearing man? Man, these Titans are seeming lamer and lamer each issue… Wasn't impressed with the Ravager Second Feature bit - just no.

The Rise of Arsenal #2
Urgh, do we have do this? I'd much rather read Pixie Strikes back having a baby with Final Crisis then this. Now, I now that's an odd metaphor, but at least those stories made a form of sense of where they were going, and that's saying something, considering my disdain for the direction Marvel are taking with Pixie. So, what happened with this atrocity anyway?
Roy's on drugs, dreaming of failing Lian, pissed off with Ollie for killing Prometheus when he should have done it, annoyed with Mia for not keeping Lian alive, he gets his robot arm then decides he's gonna break his bow because he can't shoot straight and then get attacked by Cheshire because he let Lian die.
A by the numbers idiot plot that I pretty much predicted would happen because I could see straight away the idiotic direction DC are taking with the Arrowclan, and I knew that any old writer could write this awful stuff. It's not a good idea, it's not a good plot, and it's just a damn stupid direction for many a character. I suppose ending my reviews on this horrible horrible comic, and so here's some more and good news. Well, maybe for me anyway. You'll see what I mean when ya read em ;)

Now, I was having a bit of a money spending splurge, which was a really bad idea considering my bank account, but hey, I wanted a sortof treat, and they have looked interesting for quite a while. And so I've bought the Mystic Arcana series (Magik, Black Knight, Scarlett Witch and Sister Grimm). Now, I haven't read it yet - just haven't yet. I've already read seven comics today, and wanted to just do the reviews and have a nap ;)

Now, on a final and completely different note, the releases of the pictures for the new X-Men seem quite quite odd. Have you seen the line-up? Just over half of them are actual mutants, huh. Novel… Still, least Psylocke being a member is always good.





















Oh, and the actual final note. We get Iron Man 2 a week earlier than you guys in America. Ha ha - sucks to be you :P Cause I'm seeing it tonight perhaps, and then on Sunday and Tuesday with some different mates I know. Two to three times, and you won't have seen it once. Now that's a two finger salute that would really annoy you Americans. Ha ha :P

20 comments:

  1. Nice review dude, I haven't read everything but I definitely agree on GLC and a few others, glad you at least enjoyed the Director's Cut. And why the hell is Spidey in X-men solicits? Weird, and btw you guys suck for getting Ironman 2 early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers - yeah, it's understandable why those happen, but it would be nice getting a bit more bang for our buck, eh?
    Well, about half of it was good, and that were the pictures ;) if you're not into seeing designs for characters, I wouldn't bother with it really... Only reason I got it

    I don't know. Nor do I know why She-Hulk, Blade or Elektra are as well. X will be happy with X-Man in though, which should also have some nice stuff with Magneto (you know, the whole Magneto was a good guy in AoA).

    Considering how much you guys get early, I've got one thing for you.

    ..|.. ..|..

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactamundo, I can see why you artsy fartsy types :P would like that part at least but for me it was a lost cause.

    Yeah I saw X up there as well so OUR X should indeed like that, as for Elektra (who was AWESOME in Wolverine: Enemy of The State), Spidey, Blade and She Hulk...I may have to read these.

    Lmao well played sir..well played indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rest of it was pretty useless, all of two pages really catering to the non artists, and even the art bit was a let down. It's a shame really, it could've been so much more.

    It's looking to be interesting, I might well pick it up as well. Considering the only X-Men stuff I've read except the Dark Avengers stuff was Pixie stuff :D
    And it also seems the artist sortof (but not really) understands drawing women by not having them all with plastic enhancements.

    Well, whaddyaknow, that two finger salute was fun too :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, glad to see that you finally took care of that damn volcano and got your books Nagash! :P

    I agree with you 1,000,000% about X-23... I can't STAND her! She's def one of my least favorite Marvel characters, and that's really saying something...

    As for that new X-Men series, if Nate is really in there, I'll be doing my official happy dance! I kind of wonder if this is some kind of misdirection by Marvel though, because this team almost seems too bizarre to be true... I do kind of dig the idea of vampire Jubilee though... Can't really explain why, but I do...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I totally took it's mother out for a nice sea food dinner, and then
    never
    called
    AGAIN
    :D

    It's funny, as I've got a character quite similar to her in a few ways (unintentionally, cause I didn't know about X-23 until I read two issues of New X-Men a few months ago), except, you know, I like her. But then maybe that's because she's not a complete arse of a character ;)

    It does seem as though there's a few repeats, as it were. Nate, Hope and Psylocke are all psychic; Elektra, Blade, Psylocke are all bladed weapon fighters; Elektra, Psylocke and Spidey are all nimble; etc etc

    ReplyDelete
  7. LMAO X won't get that but I do because Dorothy Mantooth is a SAINT!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that JT knows me so well that he can say, "X won't get that" and be completely, 100% right!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brick, where did you get a hand grenade?

    X - it's from Anchorman. Go watch, like now

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brick, you better lay low for a while, try to find a safe house. I think you may be wanted for murder.

    Lmao yeah X I know you're not a movie-buff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ate a big, red candle.

    But how do you not see that? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Champ... I think I ate your chocolate squirrel.

    I don't think X even saw Wizard of Oz... :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read somewhere their periods attract bears. Bears can smell the menstruation.

    O_O now that is truly the definition of sheltered...

    ReplyDelete
  14. You ate the whole cheese log? I'm not even angry, I'm impressed...

    Lol he's just not a big TV/Movie guy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sex Panther by Odeon. This stuff is illegal in 9 countries. It's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

    Well, fair enough I suppose, but he oughta have at least some the good uns that we tell him to ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mr. Burgundy you have a massive erection right now! Oh um... well im gonna walk this off, don't mind me I'm just walking around, doing my calisthenics...Don't act like you're not impressed.

    Lol well we should definitely recommend that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Panda Watch! The mood is tense; I have been on some serious, serious reports but nothing quite like this. I, uh, Ching King is inside right now. I tried to get an interview with him, but they said "No, you can't do that, he's a live bear, he will literally rip your face off." Hey, you're making me look stupid. Get out here, panda jerk!

    Yeah, compose a list of 50 films he should, see, eh?
    Number one being the animated Transformers movie - that was awesome

    ReplyDelete
  18. You win, just for quoting ALL of that. But my counter attack will be short and sweet.

    WHAMMY!!!!

    Nah, you can do it :) Next time you're all bored at work :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. :P

    Yeah, you pretty much yelled it.

    I could. Possibly...

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much. grow hair faster

    ReplyDelete